Chemistry is central to all other science disciplines and technology. Our degree progamme in chemistry is designed to foster in the undergraduates an appreciation of this centrality of chemistry to human well-being, as well as its linkage to and interactions with other science disciplines.
This programme is therefore aimed at:
- Stimulating in the students sustained interest and enthusiasm in chemistry and it’s applications;
- Building in students a culture o continuing enquiry;
- Providing students with a broad and balanced base of chemical knowledge and practical skills;
- Developing in students a range of skills applied in chemical and non-chemical ares, that can provide confidence for employment;
- Providing students with a solid base of chemical knowledge and skills that are required for postgraduate studies and research, and
- UTME Candidates: Passes at credit level in five subjects, which include English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Physics at Ordinary level (SSCE, WASCE, GCE and NECO)
- Direct Entry Candidates: Possession of one of the following qualifications
- Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) Upper Credit (with two ‘A’ Level passes in chemistry and anyone of Physics, Mathematics or Biology)
- Ordinary National Diploma (OND) Upper Credit in a related field
- Higher National Diploma (HND) Lower Credit in a related field
- First degree in a related area from a recognized University
- Plus UTME requirement
Duration of Programme
The Department of Chemistry offers a four-year degree programme. The minimum period allowed is four (4) years while the maximum period allowed is six (6) years. Any student who fails to complete the requirements and graduate within the time allowed goes back without the degree.