Computer Science has assumed a new prominence in the modern world. With its richly attractive practical and visual appeal as well as natural applications, the programme has virtually attracted the entire society. The computer scientist must not only sustain the status quo, but must look into the future with absolute confidence so as to unravel and exploit numerous other opportunities and near impossibilities that may present themselves. The philosophy of the department is hence centered on producing adequate and efficient manpower in the field of Computer Science through effective teaching methods and collaborative/interdisciplinary research. The programme is designed to solve immediate need of the society as well as train personnel that will graduate to fit perfectly well into the knowledge based economy either as a player or a contributor as well as being readily employable.
The objectives of the programme include:
- To train student on the principle, theories, practice and application of Computer Science, which they can use to design better systems for industries and corporate organizations and also train other in the future
- To introduce students of Computer Science to research techniques so as to sustain the growth of the discipline through research
- To explore available human and natural resources in teaching, research and manpower development
- To expose the student to all aspects of studies, community service and problem solving skills in Computer Science
- To ensure collaboration with other disciplines and industries, especially in the area of ICT, which permeates all areas of human endeavour
- To fulfil the University’s strategic plan by pursuing, developing and maintaining the linkage programme with other university/research within and outside the country, in order to enhance the interplay of ideas and new discoveries without prejudice to maintaining a friendly and sustainable environment.
- UTME Candidates: Passes at credit level in five (5) subjects, which include English Language, Mathematics, Physics plus two other science subject at Ordinary level (SSCE, WASCE, GCE and NECO)
- Direct Entry Candidates: Possession of one of the following qualifications
- Two ‘A’ level passes in Science subjects including Mathematics
- Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) merit pass in Mathematics and one other Science or Social Science subject
- Diploma in Data Processing with at least a merit pass from a recognized University or ND/HND in Data Processing, Engineering and Mathematics with an overall ‘B’ grade may be considered.
- ND/HND (lower credit) in relevant fields and at least NCE merit pass in Mathematics, Statistics or Computer Science.