Mathematics is an essential science and technology, and has many applications in medicine, the social sciences, Agriculture, Business and Management. The programme is therefore geared towards producing graduates who are well trained in all areas of pure and applied mathematics with the aim of meeting the challenges of using mathematics in advancing societal development
The objective of the programme is to train mathematicians who will be able to:
- Learn to apply precise, logical reasoning to problem solving.
- Develop persistence and skill in exploration, conjuncture and generalization.
- Be able to read and communicate mathematics with understanding and clarity.
- Possess understanding of the breath of mathematical sciences and their deep interconnecting principles.
- Be able to apply mathematics to a broad spectrum of complex problems.
- Gain experience in problem solving, mathematical reasoning, communicating, scientific computing and mathematical modelling.
- UTME Candidates: Passes at credit level in five (5) subjects, which include English Language, Mathematics at least two subject from Chemistry, Physics, Statistics, Further Mathematics, Economics and Geography at Ordinary level (SSCE, WASCE, GCE and NECO)
- Direct Entry Candidates: Possession of one of the following qualifications
- Two ‘A’ level passes in Science subjects including Mathematics or Statistics
- Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) Upper Credit (with two ‘A’ Level passes in Science and Social Science subject
- ND/HND (lower credit) passes in relevant fields